One Year Technical Placement Student Opportunity; Starting June 2021
We are an award-winning, high-growth education technology start-up based in Bath. EZ Education was formed by Tom Minor and Nicola Chilman in July 2012 to develop DoodleMaths, an adaptive maths application for primary and secondary-aged children. We are based in the centre of Bath. DoodleMaths and EZ Education have been described as being one of the UK’s most exciting EdTech startups (Sparkies Best Mobile App 2016 and ‘Good’ Award 2019; Winner, Pitch@Palace 2016; Bath Life Awards Winner 2017 and 2018; finalists and Highly Commended in the BETT, ERA and GESS Awards 2019; winner, Barclays Entrepreneur Awards 2019).
Our products support children around the world, from local schools to refugee camps. We know that our customers come from a range of backgrounds and we want our company to truly reflect the diversity that we see among the children who benefit from our technology so we strongly encourage applications from any member of the community.
- You’re polite, warm and great at communicating. You’re thorough and pay attention to detail.
- You’re smart and you want your work to have an impact on the world; you’re a fast learner; you think ahead; you think creatively. You’re positive and optimistic, proactively addressing issues that need to be changed rather than complaining or feeling helpless. You can work independently, but are also a great team player.
- You love our applications – DoodleMaths and DoodleEnglish – and want to be an integral part of our mission: to build adaptive learning technology that builds confidence in children. You are interested in new technology, start-ups, and perhaps entrepreneurship, too.
- You are OK with change, even when quite rapid. You’re happy to do what needs to be done.
- You’ll be able to grow your skills in a number of different areas although your main focus will be providing support to the in-house technical team of seven.
- We largely develop our apps using a cross-platform SDK (Unity), although we also use web-based languages and have two applications that are coded natively, too. Our back-end system is coded in PHP around a Laravel framework. You would quickly gain experience in a number of different technologies, and so a willingness to learn is essential.
- You will need to be able to replicate technical errors and troubleshoot them, and you will work closely with the technical team to identify and resolve bugs. You will need to actively think of ways to improve the app and the general customer experience. Be prepared to take on responsibility quickly – under the guidance of our hugely-experienced tech lead, you will take on many development projects of your own.
Balancing life and work: Holiday – 25 days holiday per year
We offer some flexibility in working hours and remote working where appropriate. We also offer other work perks, including a subsidised gym membership.
Work perks: We provide breakfast, snacks and coffee, and keep a fully stocked drinks fridge in the office.
Salary: This salary range will depend on experience.
Diversity: Here at EZ Education, we have designed our products to support children around the world, from local schools to refugee camps. We know that our customers come from a range of backgrounds and we want our company to truly reflect the diversity that we see among the children who benefit from our technology. We know that we need people with different backgrounds, cultures and experiences to help us best support children’s learning. We strongly encourage applications from any member of the community, but especially BAME candidates and those who are neuro-diverse.
Application Deadline: 15/05/2021
Expected Start Date: June 2021 (depending on the candidate)
Job Type: Full-time, One year fixed term
Salary: Dependent on experience
“My overall experience with EZ Education has been fantastic: I’ve learned so much about commercial awareness, coding standards and practices, and working with different sectors of a business. In my time here I’ve been involved in several major projects, had the chance to work on applications and both front and back end web development, and found the company culture to be incredibly supportive of personal development and in recognising progress.” – Jack Taylor, Placement Student, January 2018.
How to apply
If interested in applying, please email a covering letter, describing why the placement is of interest to you, along with a CV, to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday 14th May 2021.