The United Kingdom is a great place to explore with your family. There are so many different places to visit, each with its own unique history and charm. You can visit the big city sights of London, or take in the beautiful countryside of Wales or Scotland. No matter where you go, there’s sure to be something fun for everyone!
Family days out are a great way to spend time with your loved ones and explore new places. Plus, they don’t have to be expensive (in fact, many attractions are free!). So whether you’re interested in history, nature or just want to have fun, these family day trips are the perfect way to spend a day.
In this blog, jump to:
- Family day out ideas
- Family days out in London
- Family days out in the Midlands
- Family days out in Scotland and the north of England
- Family days out in Wales and the south of England
- Are these family days out cheap?
Family days out ideas
There are many different types of family days out that you can enjoy. Here are some of the most popular:
- Visit a theme park or amusement park. These are always a hit with children, and there’s often something for everyone, from intense roller coasters to family-friendly rides. Plus, they’re a great way to sneak in a little learning about physics!
- Head to the zoo. This is a great way to learn about different animals and their habitats.
- Take a trip to the beach. There’s nothing quite like a day spent in the sun, sand and sea!
- Explore a castle or stately home. These are fascinating places with a lot of history to learn about.
- Go for a hike or walk in the countryside. This is a great way to get some fresh air and exercise – and you might even spot some wildlife along the way.
- Take a boat trip. This can be a great way to see different parts of the country from a new perspective.
- Visit a museum. From art and history to science and nature, there are museums to suit all interests.
- Take a trip to the cinema. This is always a popular choice, especially for family-friendly films.
- Go out for a meal. This can be a great way to relax and spend quality time together.
- Spend time at a family-friendly attraction. From the theatre to inflatables, there are lots of options here!
Whatever you choose to do, family days out are a great way to spend some quality time together and create lasting memories.
If you’re worried about a long car journey to reach your destination, Doodle’s maths and English apps can be used offline and contain lots of fun games, making them the perfect way to keep your kids occupied.
Best of all, they specifically target your child’s needs and are fully aligned to the national curriculum, so your child can top up their learning while you’re out and about on your adventures!
Family days out in London
There are lots of educational family days out in London. For example, the Museum of London is a great place to learn about the city’s history. Many museums cover various topics, from art to science to history, so you can find one that interests your family – and best of all, many of them are free to visit!
If you’re looking for something more active, there are plenty of parks and playgrounds to explore. Hyde Park is one of the most popular as it has something for everyone, from boating to horse riding to tennis.
Or, if you’re looking for a family day out that’s a little different, you could also try visiting one of London’s many markets. There are markets selling everything from fresh produce to clothes to antiques, so you’re sure to find something that interests your family.
Family days out in the Midlands
The Midlands is a great place to explore with your family. There are many different towns and cities to visit, each with its unique history and attractions.
Coventry is a great place to start, as it’s home to many different museums and historical buildings. The Coventry Transport Museum is a must-visit for any car or history lover, and the Coventry Cathedral is also worth a visit.
Birmingham is another great option. The Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery is a great place to learn about the city’s history, and the Thinktank Science Museum is ideal for science enthusiasts. There are also lots of parks to explore, including Cannon Hill Park and Sutton Park.
Family days out in Scotland and the north of England
In Glasgow, you can visit the Glasgow Science Centre, which is perfect for any budding scientist. The Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum is also a great place to learn about the city’s history. If you’re looking for something more active, there are plenty of parks to explore, including Glasgow Green and Victoria Park.
Or in Edinburgh, the Edinburgh Zoo is a great place to learn about different animals, and the National Museum of Scotland is perfect for any history lover. There are also various parks to explore, including The Meadows and Princes Street Gardens.
Family days out in Wales and the South of England
Wales and the south of England are great places to visit with your family. There are many different towns and cities to explore, each with its unique history and attractions.
In Cardiff, you can visit the National Museum of Wales, which is perfect for any history lover. Cardiff Castle is also great for learning about the city’s history. If you’re looking for something more active, there are plenty of parks to explore, including Bute Park and Llandaff Fields.
Bath is another excellent option in the South of England. The Roman Baths are a great place to learn about the city’s history, and the Royal Crescent is also worth a visit. Prior Park and Sydney Gardens are also well worth a visit!
Are these family days out cheap?
The family days out listed above are all free or have small admission fees, and the most expensive day out doesn’t top £40 per person.
So whether you’re looking for something free or a little more expensive, there are plenty of options!
Family days out are a great way to spend time with your loved ones, explore new places and learn about different cultures. Most excitingly, the days out listed in this blog are just a handful of the many options available in the UK, so there really is something for everyone.
In addition, all of these family days out are free or have small admission fees, making them an excellent option for budget-friendly fun. So what are you waiting for? Start planning your family days out today!
But before you head off, don’t forget to download the Doodle apps to keep your kids entertained on your travels. Best of all, you can try them for free!